Sunday, August 14, 2005

don't worry i'm all right, but my right shoes are not happy!



ok, so thursday night i hear my phone ring, it's charging in the living room and i was sitting on my bed watching t.v./checking email/surfining the net (what can i say i'm a multi-tasker) so i get up and proceed to whack my foot against my ottoman(look i can spell it now, I had no idea at the emergency room, yes, that's right e.r., but we'll get there in a minute), see the culprit below. now we have all stubbed our toes before, but this one really hurt. i proceed to crawl along the floor to my cell, i see it was kq who called (to whom i also blame all of this for ;) j/k, no, i'm not). so i return her call and get voicemail where i'm sure i sound like i'm about to cry. i proceed to crawl along the florr and cry in pain to rr, who asks me if i'm being dramatic. now please understand i never really cry out in pain, i rarely go tot he doctor and rarely get sick, i like to pretend i'm not sick even if i am. so i'm like no, it really hurts, i think i broke my toe. his reply is great, so do i have to take you to the e.r.? i proceed to take my sock off and sure enough, my toe is pointing in a direction it hasn't pointed before. so i tell rr the i really think i broke my toe. his response was that he really didn't have time for this since he was studying for his class for a series 7 license. but he took me anyway. though first he has to go get my laundry from the dryer, since everything must be so difficult when something like this happens, and kq calls back while he is getting the laundry and i'm ready to pass out after seeing my toe and it hurting so bad. so we get to the e.r., though on the way rr keeps telling me i probably just stubbed it and it's fine... yeah well it's not your toe is it? (i didn't say that, but wish i had). so we get there and i tell them i think i broke my toe and then i get to wait w/ all the freaks...yay! it was around 9:20pm when we got there and the freaks were out in full force. some girl w/ a "severe ear-ache, but she was also on her cell phone the entire time. some girl whose mother was yelling at her about something and the daughter kept telling her mother to shut-up from halfway across the room since they refused to sit by each other, adorable child, excellent job at parenting. some guy w/ a laceration on his leg. some guy sleeping on the floor? a young boy (around 10) q/ his mom and aunt? who was in the e.r. the noght before for a spider bite and returned because he had been bitten 2 more times. they wer nice though, he and i looked through his i spy book while waiting. then there was some woman who was brought in b by the border patrol? i don't know what the hell was going on there. some girl right beofre us had had trouble breathing and her mother was dating some famous surfboard maker, or something like that and her showed up (yea, um he was really unattractive). the girl who kept yelling at her mother's father showed up (after she had gone back) and he proceded to fall asleep in the waiting room and snore loudly. a woman who had cut her finger got very angry at him for this and started yelling at him, though he slept through the whole thing so it didn't really do much good. at some point i was taken back to get my info down and given an ice pack which helped so much, i told the nurse she was a goddess for giving it to me. (rr had gone home to get his study materials since were were told it would be around midnight when the doctor would be able to get to me... fun!) so eventually i have to go up and sign a mile high stack of papers and finally i am taken back... or wheeled back since i couldn't walk on my own. the nurse was super nice and since i was so nice to her she let rr come back too. the doctor comes in after about 10 minutes and says so you may have broken your toe which one...oh i see which one. he was like, yeah i'm pretty sure you broke it, but we'll do x-rays to confirm. so they give me some motrin for the pain and i wait to be taken to the x-ray room. the nurse comes and picks me, a nice guy, though i wish it had been another one cause he was much cuter, but those w/ broken toes can't be choosers. let me just say hospitals are creepy. i have never broken anything before or gone to the e.r. before and being wheeled through the empty halls of a hospital at midnight was not fun. i have to lie on a table and turn my foot this way and that way and then i get wheeled back. the docter comes in and is like, yup, you broke it.



and i'm like great. but also wanted to do an i told you so to rr. the doctor asks if i would like a vicodin now so that i don't have to go and wait for a prescription that night. so i took him up on the offer. he also informs me that i need to see an orthopedic doctor and that they may have to put a pin in my toe becasue of the way i broke it, great again. the break is on a diagonal on the bone rethaer than horizontally. then martha (pronounced mar-ta) comes in to wrap my toes together. since i broke my middle toe she wrapped the 3 center toes together, luckily i was distracted during this as a super fun nurse came in w/ my vicodin. i was like, is it ok that i already took a motrin, and she was like sure, since it wasn't a narcotic. i was like what is this going to do to me, the biggest drug i've ever taken is a clariton, and she was like honey, this ain't no clariton. (love her!) so i take it and she tells me not to drive and that it will show up in my urine for 48 hours so if i have to take a drug test. the martha is all done! and she goes to get me a shoe and crutches. she returns and i'm like oh, that's fabulous! at leats it's black so i can wear it w/ almost anything! she laughed at this (i noticed more and more nurses walked by my room... of course i was the fab gay patient that everyone loves!). super fun nurse returns w/ my sign out papers and tells me that i need to see an ortho doctor as soon as possible, honey. i was like will it be okay if i have to go on monday? she's like it'll be fine honey. then she leaves and while i'm waiting for matha to return the first nurse, who gave me the ice pack walks by and i thank her again and she says you're welcome sweetie, love her too! so martha gets back and teaches me how to use the cruthes. i get let go and we head for home. rr says someting that pisses me off in the hallway and i snap back at him. i then proceed to get ready for bed and all i wanna do is sleepa nd wake up in the morning and have all this be a bad dream. oh and the icing on the cake, the wristband they gave me w/ my name written in permanent marker proceeds to rub-off all over my new fav shirt (it's so cute and i look great in it and it's a small, kq will confirm this)! great, why must my fav fashion items always get ruined? why must i be punished more after being sentenced to this boot thing for a month.

of course, i got up and went to work the next morning, largely in aprt for the sympathy :) no, i had to get some stuff done that day, luckily kq picked me up and vitatwin came to pick me up and drive me around that afternoon. we went to target and filled my prescription... though i got the generic version of vicodin (hey, it was only 7 bucks) plus i got the new cool target bottles and then i got a $10 gift card for being a new pharmacy customer, woo hoo! then we go pick up my x-rays (see above) and then to toys r us... hey i needed to buy something to make myself feel better. we then eat lunch at marie calendar's, yum chicken pot pie, sometime syou just need some comfort food. we then head back to my apartment and vita twin helps me do my laundry and we just hang out and watch t.v. while we wait, thanks vitatwin!

saturday kq lets me tag along w/ her. by-the-way not getting th wraps all wet when showering is impossible, i have tried everything and no matter what, my foot gets all wet. anyways, i get to see kq's new place see some of the cute neighborhood she lives in and then we head back to my place... i hobble to my apartment to pick up the urban outfitters catalog so i can get 20 bucks off my purchase... of course i read that it expired august 1... great. so i hobble back to kq's car (i am no longer using my crutches since my under arms and palms are killing me more tha my broken toe). we go get food at this cute little restaraunt called cafe buca, it was super yum even though the service was super slow. we then head to the 3rd street promenade and go to quiksilver so that i can get a replacement shirt... i also pick up a few other things! we then go to urban, where it blows. and then to fossil so that kq can get her watch battery replaced. we check out the clothes... kq found some cute tops and i got a cute jacket and we admired the cute boys working there. then she drops me off at my place and i crash. i sleep for a couple hours, get up eat dinner and head back to bed. then i spent most of today doing nothing other than move slowly. rr and i went out to dinner (he had apologized sat. for his bad mood, he's under a lot of stress because of this test for his job.

and i finally felt up to retelling the story, it also helps that i'm currently fairly coherent. so that was my weekend in a nutshell, fun huh? i'm taking tomorrow off to go to the ortho doctor, hopefully i won't need to get a pin in my toe (cross your fingers!) i'll reportback in tomorrow, w/ the findings. and so i leave you w/ a picture of the culprit, watch out for him, he's a tricky fellow, so innocent looking, but so deadly.




goodnight. go go broken banana!

p.s. i blame the vicodin for any spelling mistakes or incoherent sentences.

2 comments:

Y. said...

Oh, you poor thing! Hope you're feeling better.

I hate the ER. We had to take my grandmother once when she hit her head and started bleeding. We waited for like 2 hours while she had a towel wrapped around her head to staunch the blood. By the time we got it, they chastised us for letting her loose so much blood! It was awful.

Follow the Frog said...

wow...that sucks. I've never broken a bone but I did have a recent ER experience. So I know of what you speak.

I guess you just never know what kinds of things life will throw your way...(am feeling pensive and reflective at the moment, but as promised in my post today, I am not thinking).